Life Is Good

Life Is Good

Monday, August 19, 2013

BEA BOOK #? I've lost track.

The Valley of AmazementThe Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I read the other reviews and I don't know what I'm missing but this book was not 5 star worthy. It was brilliant in places but tedious in others. It all felt TOO contrived and TOO predictable.

WARNING SPOILER ALERT IN THE NEXT TWO PARAGRAPHS: Amy Tan likes to address the mother daughter relationship and does so again in this book although I could not relate. I would do ANYTHING to find my child even if I was told she was dead.

As I read the book I couldn't help but feel like we were romanticizing prostitution and that good prostitutes find a way out and live happily ever after (think Pretty Woman). I read the whole book and I learned a lot about courtesans and Shanghai. So if you like romance novels and if you like some historical fiction then this is not bad--not great--but not bad.



View all my reviews

No comments:

My Family

My Family
Christmas in OH

Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home
Harvest 2015