Life Is Good

Life Is Good

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Icy Sparks Book 1 2014

Icy Sparks (Oprah's Book Club)Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


If I were giving letters grades this would be a B/B+. I read this book because I found it in my daughter's closet and it looked interesting. I had no idea it was an Oprah pick--that actually would have turned me off.

I read this very quickly although this is not a quick read. This book has three stages--Icy's young life, her teenage life and I did like how human and real and "teenage" Icy was; and her later teens and into early adulthood. The teenage years were written very realistically. The ups and downs and confusion. I was disturbed by the "catholic" teacher. Was she really that cruel or was that Icy's memory of her? At times I was confused on whether this was written as a memoir or as a story.

And I didn't even mind the come to jesus ending. I felt like that was natural for the time and for Kentucky.

All in all, a good read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

My Family

My Family
Christmas in OH

Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home
Harvest 2015